Thursday, January 6, 2011

Copenhagen State of Mind

Yes, I saw the above on a sign in the South Campus...

Too exhausted to write much, but I wanted to share some Danish!

bispebjerg: Three guesses on how to pronounce it. Hint: the Danish language hates being phonetic and loves having silent letters.
"Officially" means: the station right next to my kollegiet and the name of my neighborhood (technically on the border of this and Nørrebro, which is more well-known.)
Really (according to me) means: I don't tell anyone where I live.

selvfølgelig: Condense this into three syllables if you dare...
"Officially" means: of course; obviously; naturally.
Really (according to me) means: a pretty fun word to say and throw around, if you can manage to spell it in the first place. Look, I'm learning Danish!

læser: Denmark was the first country in the world to legalize same-sex unions. Similarly, freedom of marriage is enjoyed by letters of the alphabet as well. So a and e decided to wed (and their offspring include the other so-called "extra" letters that aren't allowed in the US due to discriminatory laws).
"Officially" means: to read.
Really (according to me) means: LASER. Duhhh.

Grækenland: The power couple strikes again.
"Officially" means: Greece
Really (according to me) means: I can't say it without sounding like a dog retching. My teacher manages to do it though...

Tyskland: So, in this case the y is pronounced more like a u sound. So it virtually reads Tuskland... I mean, it still doesn't pronounce exactly like that but still.
"Officially" means: Germany
Really (according to me) means: Germans are walruses. The end.

More later, I promise! This weekend is gonna be legit in terms of getting stuff done.

Hej hej!

2 comments:

  1. hahahahahahahahahaha..... i wouldnt tell anyone where i live even if i COULD pronounce it.. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does that mean we're part walrus? I like the power couples.... Looking forward to your legit weekend posts. Maddy says "woof" (loosely translated as "Have you seen any dogs as goodlooking as me in Copenhagen?).

    ReplyDelete